Processing Travel Document in Lieu of Lost Philippine Passport

Philippines, Travel Time / Monday, September 12th, 2016

If you lost your Philippine passport while you are a tourist in another country, you will need to apply for a Travel Document. You will also need to have the police report authenticated by the Embassy, plus you will need to execute an Affidavit of Loss.

Why do you need to do this? The travel document will allow you to travel back to the Philippines without a passport. This is only valid for a one-way travel to Philippines. As for the authenticated Police Report and Affidavit of Loss, you will need this when you reapply for your replacement passport.

Philippine Travel Document
Travel Document (Lost Philippine Passport)

This is what I did when I lost my passport in a street robbery in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.

  • Accomplish Police Report – *must have English translation and seal.

(Immediately after my bag was snatched, we went to the police station near Benh Than Market. Police report was accomplished with the help of our hotel receptionist who acted as our interpreter. Make sure you list all you lost ie – ID’s, passport etc. This was free of charge in our case. Before this happened to me, I used to think VN police are tough and scary folks, but lucky for us, the officer who assisted us was very sympathetic. He even delivered the police report to our hotel at 2 am! I was really really grateful to this officer.)

  • Make sure you have a photocopy of the info page of your lost passport.

(I would suggest always making a copy of your current passport before you travel. In my case, I had a copy of my passport on my cloud services and the hotel receptionist also had a photocopy of the front page of my passport which was really handy)

  • Prepare 2 passport size photos.

(Do this before going to embassy or consulate. They will need the photo on file as well as to attach on your travel document.)

  • Proceed to Embassy or Consulate to apply for Travel Document and Affidavit of Loss. They will also verify and authenticate the police report.
  • Prepare fees. In my case, I paid $80 (2M+ VN Dong)
    Affidavit of Loss – $25
    Travel Document – $30
    Authentication of Police Report – $25

(When I processed my docs at the consulate in HCMC, they only accepted Vietnamese Dong, so if possible call first because the nearest bank to the consulate was about 2-3 km away.)

  • Time-frame: Embassy generally releases the Travel Document etc, in 3 days time. If its really urgent they can probably make some exceptions. In my case, I got it after 2 days.

Philippine Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City
40-5 Pham Viet Chanh, Ward 19, Binh Thanh, District 1, HCMC
phone: +848-3518-0045 ext 102

Embassy of the Philippines in Hanoi
Hanoi, Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Tel: No. (84-4) 3943 78 73


Once you have your travel document ready, DO NOT make haste in booking your return flights yet. Check first if you need an EXIT VISA. In my case I needed one. One Filipina I met at the embassy who went through the same ordeal, thinking that the Travel Document was already sufficient, was not allowed to fly out because she did not have exit visa stamp from Vietnam Immigration. Note that the Consulate did not know of this, so it cost her her air tickets and she had to extend her stay for a few more days.

Read on:

Part I: I Lost My Passport in a Street Robbery in Ho Chi Minh

Part III: How to Process Vietnam Exit Visa

8 Replies to “Processing Travel Document in Lieu of Lost Philippine Passport”

  1. It must have been stressful to have lost your passport, and in a street robbery for that matter. Tapos antagal mos a Vietnam, malayo sa family mo sa Cambodia. Good thing everything is settled and you’re okay na. Thanks for this informative post, sis. Marami magbe-benefit dito. 🙂

    1. hi sis! true sobrang stressful. but what an experience! LOL I can only be grateful now I’m fine. Now just waiting for passport release so I can go home.

  2. Helo, thanks for this.. This is happening to us right now.. We got robbed last Thursday, Oct. 27, and were still waiting for the Travel Document to be available.. Wonder ko lang if need din namin to process Exit Visa? We entered HCM Oct. 27 morning via airport.

    1. hi aislinn, so sorry to hear this. yes you would need to get exit visa. un ang rule nila right now though im not sure if it will change coz dati naman pwede na wala.Anyway, if you entered VN via airport, makiusap lang kau they usually have it ready. Ung nakasabay ko had hers in 24 hrs lang. 🙂 Good luck and safe travels.

    2. Hi I’m in the same situation right now. I lost my passport in a street robbery din last Nov. 26 upon arriving at HCMC. Unfortunately, my travel document will be processed in seven days pa. Wala silang rush ngayon sa Consulate. Grabe stressed na ako. How will I know if I still need the exit visa? Do I automatically go to the Immigration office upon getting my travel document?

      1. Hi terri, im so sorry to hear about your experience. Late ko na rin to nakita but were you able to get the docu na? Yes, you would need an exit visa. Best go to Immigration Office in Nguyen Trai after you get your travel docu. If you entered via airport most likely you can get the exit visa max 3 days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *